Friday, February 9, 2007

The Mid Tonic

Before I read this post, I drank Airborne. Compulsively. Nearly every night. Then I read this article on haldi (which, coincidentally, posted on the same day that Airborne was officially downgraded from "preventative medicine" to "useless fizzy yellow powder" on NPR).

So I thought hmmm... Airborne is $6.00 for ten tablets, haldi is $1.00 for two pounds... let's give it a try.

But I never felt sick enough to need it... until now.

So what did I do? Well, I didn't have any milk in the house, so I heated up a mug of water and poured in about 1 tsp of ginger, 1/4 tsp of cinnamon, and a pinch of haldi. Stir and drink.

It was actually very tasty and reasonably helpful. That is, it soothed my throat immediately, though I suppose I don't know if it was because of the haldi, the ginger, the cinnamon (probably not the cinnamon) or the simple fact that I was drinking hot water.

I've decided to call this concoction a Mid Tonic, because I've beaten Chrono Trigger eleven times and because this tonic, like its namesake, is only "mid" effective (the scratchiness came back).

Also because once one gets down to the middle part of the drink, things get pretty thick and the haldi really comes out in full force. Mmmm... haldi.

The article also mentions lime pickle! Yay!

No comments: