Friday, March 30, 2007

For All The Fans of Girls' Literature


... and come on, girls' literature is everyone's literature.

Do you remember in Noel Streatfeild's Ballet Shoes when Pauline and Petrova played Tyltyl and Mytyl in Maurice Maeterlinck's The Blue Bird? And how the book included two large scenes from the play within its text, so we could understand what was going on?

When I was a kid I used to act those scenes out with my Barbie dolls, holding the book flattened out under one knee and reciting Mytyl and Tyltyl's lines.

So when I got into grad school, and they asked me what play I wanted to direct, I said "well, what about Blue Bird?"

Here are some production photos (used by permission).

First: Tyltyl and Mytyl by the window, watching the party outside.

Second: Bread, springing to life.

Third: The children finding the Garden of Birds in the Palace of Night.

There are many more photos (including the ones of the twelve-foot puppets). If you would like a link to the entire set, email me at thisblog'stitle at hotmail dot com.

Again, click on any image for the detail view.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This discussion has got me re-reading Ballet Shoes right now...

And since we're talking Girls' Literature: the first time I heard of Maurice Maeterlinck was in Jean Webster's Daddy-Long-Legs, where Judy, on hearing the name for the first time, asks "if she was a freshman"...

Daddy-LL is next on my re-reading list now...